About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
CIVIC seeks a highly qualified, organized, and motivated development/executive associate to jointly support the organization’s small but dedicated fundraising team and the executive director in a 60/40 split role. A strong work ethic, an eagerness to develop Development-related proficiencies, and commitment to CIVIC's mission are critical. The successful candidate will possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills, be detail-oriented, possess the ability to trouble-shoot and research solutions, and enjoy a fast-paced work environment where no two days are exactly alike.
In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, CIVIC offers a challenging, fast-paced work environment that provides staff with professional opportunities for growth and values diversity and independent thought.
Job Purpose: Support for CIVIC’s Development and Executive-level Outreach
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting to: Director, Development
Development Associate (60%):
· Works with CIVIC’s Director, Development and other senior staff to plan and coordinate fundraising and donor outreach activities, events, mailings, and proposal timelines in order to implement CIVIC’s strategic Development goals;
· Conducts prospect research to identify and optimize fundraising opportunities;
· Contributes to the attainment of department milestones and the creation and delivery of key donor messaging and engagement.
· Helps develop and draft high-quality grant proposals and outreach materials in a dedicated program portfolio for prospects and funders in close coordination with senior staff;
Executive Associate (40%):
· Manages the Executive Director’s calendar, coordinate meetings, and ensure that the ED’s schedule is managed and communicated in an efficient manner;
· Organizes and coordinates Executive Director’s travel and accommodation arrangements, including registration at key conferences and events;
· Drafts and edits correspondence, communications, and other documents including presentations, concepts, and other ED-focused materials as required;
· Reconciles monthly expenses and expense reports for the ED.
CIVIC provides an innovative benefits package geared toward attracting and retaining high potential individuals and includes a flexible leave package (including all government holidays and the week between Christmas and the New Year). We also offer employer paid health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life and disability insurance, and a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary). We would anticipate and highly appreciate a 12-month minimum commitment from the successful candidate.
Deadline: December 15, 2018
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.
- Demonstrated commitment to CIVIC’s mission and program, with familiarity of concepts related to civilian protection a plus;
- BA, with 1-3 years fundraising-related experience;
- Superlative written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail;
- Knowledge of research techniques and resources related to philanthropy;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced and high-pressure atmosphere;
- Ability to empathize with others;
- A good sense of humor;
- Demonstrated work ethic; and
- Familiarity with Salesforce a big plus.