About The Position
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
POSITION: The Communications Associate will be a key member of fulfilling that mission. S/he will support the myriad communications needs for several large programs, which range from peacekeeping in Central Africa to training Kurdish Peshmerga in best practices in international humanitarian law. In this role, the Associate will aid in producing high-quality research reports, drafting and editing engaging and accessible blogs, and managing CIVIC’s presence on the Web and in social media. The position requires a journalist’s eye for detail and obsession with news, a marketer’s savvy sense of what catches CIVIC’s target audiences’ attention, and a fluency – or deep interest – in current international issues surrounding conflict and civilians.
JOB PURPOSE: Support communication needs at/of CIVIC
LOCATION: Washington, DC
REPORTING TO: Sr. Director, Operations
- Manage CIVIC’s web site and social media accounts;
- Help draft news releases, statements, policy briefs, op-eds, and other communication materials;
- Write and edit blog posts that succinctly explain and humanize complex issues;
- Copy edit reports, press releases, and other materials;
- Manage publication of reports, policy briefs, and marketing materials for online distribution;
- Assist in managing press lists;
- Manage media relations as needed;
- Monitor and measure print, broadcast, and online media;
- Assist with other communications and creative work as needed; and
- Function as a self-sustaining member of our team.
- BA/BS in English, Journalism, Communications, Human Rights, or a field directly applicable to this role is required.
- Two to three years of experience in advocacy, international development communications, or other relevant field.
- Top-notch skills in social media (familiarity with multiple platforms, experience with metrics, analysis, etc.) and basic Web design. WordPress experience preferred.
- Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite (primarily Photoshop, Premier, and InDesign).
- Demonstrated ability to create content that explains complex topics clearly and succinctly.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills, including editing and proofreading.
- A focused, detail-oriented professional, who strives for near perfection, but remains flexible.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain internal and external professional relationships.
- Ability to work well in cross-organizational teams with a wide variety of audiences.
- Always shows respect for a diverse constituency of staff and members.
- US Citizenship or established eligibility to work in the US.
CIVIC provides an innovative benefits package geared toward attracting and retaining high potential individuals and includes a flexible leave package (including all government holidays and the week between Christmas and the New Year). We also offer employer paid health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life and disability insurance, and 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary).