About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
The Accounting manager is responsible for all areas relating to financial reporting and accounting. This position will be responsible for developing and maintaining accounting principles, practices and procedures to ensure accurate and timely financial statements. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting and year-end audit preparation and supporting the Budget Manager with budget and forecasting activities. This position will also be responsible for ensuring that field office financial management is consistent with headquarters and grant regulations, and that consolidation of this information is seamless and accurate.
Job Purpose: Provide financial management and accounting of CIVICs headquarters and local field offices
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: Occasional International travel to CIVIC field offices
Reporting to: Sr. Manager, Finance and Accounting
Staff Reporting: N/A
· Responsible for full cycle monthly accounting processes, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, overhead allocations, and reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts;
· Prepare, process, and record monthly payroll, including taxes and withholdings;
· Receive, approve, and, when necessary, investigate invoices and process accounts payable;
· Coordinate and process all staff reimbursements;
· Support field office accounting and financial management and consolidate field office financial information;
· Prepare appropriate financial schedules and reports as requested by Operations and Program Directors, for routine monthly management and for public view, such as the Annual Report and quarterly meetings of the Board of Directors;
· Work with external auditors to complete annual audit and Form 990;
· Work closely with Field Operations Managers to ensure timely financial reporting to local tax authorities ;
· Provide analysis and meaningful insights of operating expenses;
· Support the finance and accounting team with the annual budget process;
· Generate 1099’s and W-2’s for consultants and staff; and
· Communicate (both in verbal and written form) with auditor, vendors, and banking contacts;
· Assist with developing financial policies and procedures for HQ and filed office staff;
· Perform other duties as assigned from time to time by Sr. Manager, Finance and Accounting.
· Minimum of 7 years non-profit full-cycle accounting experience including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger, and financial reports;
· Knowledge of working with international NGOs (INGO);
· Ability to perform and prioritize competing projects and tasks with ease and professionalism;
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing, in English;
· Must be able to keep CIVIC matters strictly confidential;
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills;
· Excellent Microsoft Office and accounting software skills;
· Knowledge of MIP is preferred;
· Prior experience in Business Management preferred.
CIVIC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to include excellent health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life insurance, a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary), and paid leave plus twelve paid holidays (including the day after Thanksgiving and the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day).
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.