Senior Manager, Development, Governments and Foundations
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC seeks a highly qualified and motivated Senior Manager, Development to lead the organization’s fundraising operations with governments and major institutional foundations. The development department provides crucial support to sustain and enhance CIVIC’s mission and to enable the creation and implementation of programs and projects.
Under the leadership of the Development Director, the Senior Manager will be responsible for researching and identifying new government and major foundations prospects and cultivating relationships with these institutions in order to diversify CIVIC’s funder base. In addition, the Senior Manager will take the lead on planning, managing, and crafting the organization’s applications for governments, as well as major institutional foundations.
A strong work ethic and commitment to CIVIC's mission are critical. Ideal candidates will have some exposure to international, non-profit efforts in peacebuilding, conflict resolution, human rights, security, or related fields.
Successful candidates must be able to write clearly, accurately, and compellingly about CIVIC’s work in language that is accessible and appealing to government donors, and also major institutional foundations. Other attributes should include good organizational skills, creativity, dedication to meeting deadlines, strong attention to detail, ability to drive a process, and the ability to motivate others to provide information that produces excellent deliverables to donors.
Candidates should be proven team players who also demonstrate the ability to work independently; they should enjoy challenges, and value the opportunity to contribute to shaping an effective, dynamic, and growth-oriented development department designed to support and promote CIVIC’s mission and objectives. This Senior Manager should also have a proven track record in organizing, managing, and developing winning donor proposals.
In addition to the tangible benefits listed below, CIVIC offers a challenging, fast-paced work environment that provides staff with professional opportunities for growth and values diversity and independent thought.
Job Purpose: Support development needs of the organization
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: Up to 20%
Reporting to: Director of Development
Duties include, but are not limited to:
· Work with CIVIC’s Development Team to plan and execute fundraising activities in order to implement CIVIC’s strategic fundraising goals;
· Research, identify, and cultivate relationships with new governments and major, institutional prospects in order to diversify CIVIC’s donor base;
· Drive the proposal development process, including enforcing due dates, coordinating the review process, and managing the submission to ensure high- quality, timely proposal submissions;
· Develop, coordinate, and communicate the processes, requirements, and key time periods for CIVIC to submit proposals to governments and major foundations;
· Develop plans to sustain and grow funding from current government and institutional foundation donors;
· Develop grant proposals for governments and major institutional foundations in close coordination with Programmatic Staff;
· Assemble, synthesize, and simplify technical language and information from Programmatic Staff and external sources into clear and concise proposal language;
· Advise CIVIC staff, especially Programmatic Staff, on priorities, interests, and framing considerations for governments and foundations;
· Work with Programmatic and Finance Staff to review and harmonize proposal budgets with narrative;
· Write, review, and edit proposal content, ensuring all narrative, including technical narrative, numeric and graphic information is accurate and consistent;
· Respond to proposal questions and make necessary proposal revisions based on donor feedback, in coordination with Programmatic Staff;
· Create key messaging and supporting information to promote donor giving and engagement;
· Travel as necessary to support the development goals of the organization.
· Demonstrated commitment to CIVIC’s mission and program;
· 8+ years of relevant experience in grant writing for nonprofit organizations – preferably with internationally focused organizations that work in the field of policy development and advocacy;
· Extensive expertise and knowledge of the unique requirements and approach needed to successfully write winning proposals for and secure funding from governments and major, institutional foundations; proven expertise in technical writing; specific experience with European governments preferred;
· Basic understanding of CIVIC’s themes and/or familiarity with related international, non-governmental initiatives in peacebuilding, conflict resolution, human rights, security, or related fields;
· A Bachelor’s Degree or educational equivalent required; an advanced degree a plus;
· Superlative writing skills, with demonstrated ability to write in a clear, structured, articulate and persuasive manner and to adjust the tone and format of written material to the target audience; previous proposal writing experience a plus;
· Outstanding interpersonal skills, sound judgment, and an ability to communicate effectively;
· Ability to think strategically and to work well under occasional stress and firm deadlines;
· Excellent time and project management skills with a results-driven approach and strong attention to detail, as well as excellent organizational and administrative skills;
· Ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently (a self-starter), as well to function successfully as a member of a team;
· Knowledge of research techniques and resources related to philanthropy, along with proven experience in applying this knowledge to develop and carry out research and analysis (e.g., of financial information, of the applicability of CIVIC programs to donor guidelines).
CIVIC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to include excellent health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life insurance, a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary), and paid leave plus twelve paid holidays (including the day after Thanksgiving and the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day).
How to Apply: Applications must include a CV/resume, cover letter, and a 1-2 page writing sample written for a donor. Applications and supporting documents must be submitted in English.
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.