Analyst, UN and Peacekeeping
About The Position
THIS POSITION WILL BE BASED IN NEW YORK, NY
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond to civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
PEACEKEEPING PROGRAM DESCRIPTION: CIVIC conducts research to identify gaps, best practices, and lessons learned in providing effective protection to civilians through UN peacekeeping. This includes UN peacekeeping operations’ efforts to protect civilians from other armed actors and to reduce harm that peacekeeping operations may cause through their own operations. Based on this research, CIVIC undertakes advocacy with national and international stakeholders to address these gaps and institutionalize best practices. CIVIC also provides technical assistance to peacekeeping operations and other stakeholders to support them in developing and implementing protection of civilians policies, practices, and tools. In 2020, CIVIC will continue to focus its work on peacekeeping operations in four countries, Central African Republic (CAR), Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), South Sudan, and Mali. In addition, CIVIC’s peacekeeping program undertakes research and advocacy at the UN Secretariat and with UN Member States to advance broader peacekeeping reforms that are essential to the protection of civilians in conflict.
PURPOSE: Carry out research, analysis, reporting, communications, and advocacy to advance CIVIC's United Nations and Peacekeeping Program objectives. Support program event planning, administrative tasks, and monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities.
LOCATION: New York, NY
POST WILL REPORT TO: Senior Advisor, United Nations with dotted line reporting to Director, Peacekeeping Program
STAFF REPORTING TO THIS POST: Consultants and interns
- Monitor and provide regular, high-quality reporting on developments related to peacekeeping and the protection of civilians at the United Nations;
- Conduct research and provide high-quality analysis on key issues, trends, and developments on peacekeeping and the protection of civilians, including through developing and writing policy-oriented products for internal and external stakeholders;
- Proactively identify advocacy opportunities, assist in developing and implementing advocacy strategies, and conduct direct advocacy and policy engagement with external stakeholders, including Member States, the UN Secretariat, partner non-governmental organizations, and other actors;
- Assist in the administration, coordination, and planning of briefings, conferences, events, workshops, and other activities;
- Assist in developing communications materials, including writing blog posts, social media content, press statements, and other products;
- Assist with administrative and program management tasks, including internal reporting, monitoring, evaluation and learning activities, database management, and other general duties assigned by senior managers.
- Demonstrated interest in and commitment to CIVIC’s mission, vision, and objectives;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, with a demonstrated ability to manage multiple portfolios and tasks;
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of research methodologies and approaches, including data collection;
- Experience working on discrete, policy-relevant research projects;
- Ability to develop a research question and contribute to research design;
- Proficiency in linking research to advocacy and policy engagement;
- Experience drafting talking points and briefers to advance a program’s advocacy goals and targets;
- Ability to clearly communicate (verbal and written) advocacy points, policy analysis, and research findings through written products and in meetings and with officials, stakeholders, and partner organizations;
- Ability to interact professionally with wide variety of diverse individuals within and outside the organization;
- Knowledge and understanding of the United Nations, peacekeeping operations, and the protection of civilians in armed conflict;
- Knowledge of a specific country or region in which CIVIC, and particularly the Peacekeeping Program, operates, see website for list of locations: https://civiliansinconflict.org/our-work/where-we-work/;
- Demonstrated ability to serve as a proactive, inquisitive, and self-sustaining member of a diverse team;
- Ability to maintain a level of confidentiality and discretion when working with sensitive information;
- Experience supporting administrative tasks, MEL, and ideally budget management;
- Computer skills including use of the Internet, Microsoft Office Suite, web-based research tools, communications platforms (Slack), etc.;
- Ability to fairly and competently recruit, oversee, and evaluate intern activity; and
- Fluency in French or another UN language will be viewed favorably in the recruitment process.
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, African studies, or related area;
- MA, MS, or other graduate-level degree preferred;
- Minimum education and experience requirements:
- BA/BS Degree + 3 – 5 years of fulltime relevant experience OR
- MA/MS Degree + 2 – 3 years of relevant experience.
DEADLINE: CANDIDATES WILL BE CONSIDERED ON A ROLLING BASIS WITH A FINAL APPLICATION DEADLINE OF DECEMBER 22. Application deadline will be extended if a sufficient number of highly qualified applicants have not applied by December 22.
How to Apply: Applications should include a CV/resume, cover letter, and two- to three-page writing sample that has not been edited by someone other than the applicant. Applications should be submitted in English. Please submit your application through our website portal or via email to civiliansinconflict.4A.31A@applynow.iot.