Policy and Advocacy Intern Geneva
About The Position
The Center for Civilians in Conflict, or “CIVIC”, is a 15 year-old international NGO specialized in the protection of civilians in conflicts. Since its inception, CIVIC has developed unique expertise in civilian harm mitigation, working with armed actors to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond to civilian harm. Recognized in the 2018 Report of the Secretary-General of the UN on the Protection of Civilians in armed conflicts, CIVIC was specifically mentioned as one of the foremost organizations promoting forward-thinking policies and practices on protection of civilians at the national and regional levels.
CIVIC intervenes in areas of the world where civilian populations are most exposed to violence, such as Ukraine, Yemen, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Iraq, and the Sahel.
A trusted advisor to the UN and member states, CIVIC is one of just a handful of organizations worldwide with a program dedicated to strengthening peacekeeping operations’ capabilities. Through our work, peacekeepers are able to better protect civilians from violence perpetrated by other actors as well as minimize harm that could result from their own presence and operations.
CIVIC’s impact demonstrates that multilateral institutions, governments, and security and peacekeeping forces can and likely will do more to protect civilians if given the tools and technical assistance to do so. To increase its impact and further stimulate European leadership in civilian harm mitigation, CIVIC opened its Europe office in January 2018 in Geneva as a critical base for informing and influencing key European governments and multilateral institutions to adopt policies and practices that will better protect civilians in Europe – particularly eastern Ukraine – and in conflicts across the globe.
Under the direct supervision of the Europe Director, and in close collaboration with CIVIC Europe-based teams, the intern will:
- Representation and networking: creating and maintaining a contact database, scheduling meeting requests and preparing meeting minutes, providing support to the preparation of talking points and other elements of content; on an ad hoc basis, attend meetings in Geneva (UN, NGO, Conferences) on behalf of CIVIC, and ensure note-taking and internal reporting;
- Support to the organization of or participation to events (conferences, roundtables, panels in Geneva, London, Paris, or Brussels)
- Monitor information/news/analysis relevant to CIVIC’s priority contexts and topics;
- Assisting CIVIC’s Europe Director in her advocacy activities in Europe, through content production, as well as administrative and logistics support. Support to the production of monthly reports, production of presentations (internal, and external), and other internal or external planning and reporting documents.
- Flexibility to undertake any additional tasks in support of CIVIC’s policy and research priorities in Europe, including literature reviews, drafting memos, and producing short analysis or contextual notes upon request.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Capacity to work with relative autonomy while reporting back on progress and deadlines;
- Good diplomatic skills and the ability to engage with a variety of interlocutors from diplomatic, academic, and military circles;
- General awareness of protection of civilians-related matters; a general understanding of the military is a plus;
- Ability to work fast and to adapt to evolving deadlines and priorities;
- Adherence to CIVIC’s mandate and values.
EDUCATION: Masters’ Degree in International Relations, Public Policy, or any other field relevant to CIVIC’s areas of focus
LANGUAGES: Fluency in written and spoken English and French. Knowledge of Russian or Ukrainian is a plus.
Starting date: September 9, 2019
End date: December 31st, 2019
Occupational rate: Part-time (15 hours/week)
Location: Geneva, Maison de la Paix
Application deadline: August 20th, 2019
Interested in this position? Please send us your CV and cover letter in PDF format named as SURNAME_Name_CV-CL to email@example.com with “Policy and Advocacy intern - CIVIC” in the subject line.
The application deadline is 20 August 2019.