Officer, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
CIVIC seeks highly qualified applicants for the position of Officer, Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning (MEL) who will be an integral part of the CIVIC team reporting to the Senior MEL Advisor and working closely with the project teams (in HQ and the field). CIVIC seeks a talented individual who will be responsible for designing and implementing MEL activities for CIVIC projects and supporting the Senior MEL Advisor on organization level monitoring, evaluation and learning initiatives.
Job Purpose: To support and implement Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning activities across the organization’s projects.
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: Up to 25% required (international)
Staff Reporting: MEL Intern(s)
Project-Specific Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
· Serve as primary point of contact for project teams on day-to-day MEL activities;
· Assist Senior MEL Advisor in developing program MEL work plans and overall monitoring framework;
· Support development of data collection procedures;
· Guide and advise on data collection activities;
· Conduct data quality assurance checks;
· Support the project team with data management and identifying issues and prompt corrective actions to enhance the project objectives;
· Generate data reports in compliance with donor procedures and agreements;
· Work with project staff to build their MEL knowledge and skills; and
· Draft project MEL reports for CIVIC staff.
Organizational Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning
· Support Senior MEL Advisor in establishing performance measures, planning and managing evaluations and assisting CIVIC staff in using the performance information;
· Support implementation of an MEL template that will include common key project performance indicators used by CIVIC across programs to ensure consistency in the objectives and success indicators of all programs being implemented by the organization; and
· Support Senior MEL Advisor in the development of CIVIC knowledge management plan.
CIVIC provides an innovative leave package geared toward attracting and retaining high potential individuals and includes a flexible leave package (including all government holidays and the week between Christmas and the New Year. We also offer employer paid health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life and disability insurance, and 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary).
To apply please send cover letter explaining your interest in CIVIC’s work, resume, AND a brief writing sample (extract from MEL deliverable, research, op-ed, etc.).
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.
· BA/BS degree + 3-5 years relevant experience OR MA/MS degree + 2-3 years relevant experience in the design and implementation of MEL in humanitarian or development projects implemented by national/international NGOs/UN bodies/ Governments.
· Experience in designing and implementing tools and strategies for data collection, analysis and production of reports.
· Demonstrated experience in managing and supporting implementation of project monitoring data and systems.
· Knowledge of data analysis (qualitative and quantitative).
· Understanding of knowledge management approaches and solutions.
· Good oral and written communication skills to effectively present information and respond to questions.
· A good understanding of contemporary human rights issues particularly those related to conflict, peace building, and stabilization.
· Excellent writing and editing skills in English: fluency in one or more additional language(s) is advantageous.
· Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive team environment.
· Exceptional ability to work under pressure with attention to detail.
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for CIVIC’s mission.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel, PPT).