Iraq: Program Associate, Mosul
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
JOB PURPOSE: Engagement with community leaders, government and security officials in Mosul province.
LOCATION: Mosul, Iraq
TRAVEL: As needed throughout Iraq
REPORTING TO: Program Manager, Iraq
STAFF REPORTING: N/A
- Identify respected leaders, both men and women, from the community to become member of a newly created Civilian Protection Group (CPG);
- Identify NGOs working on protection issues to join newly created CPG;
- Liaise with government and security officials for meetings and workshops;
- Build strong relations with local officials, community-based and civil society organizations and like-minded INGOs;
- Work with Program Manager in facilitating capacity-building workshops for the CPG;
- Work with Program Manager to in facilitating civilian - military dialogues;
- Organize and attend meetings with CPG;
- Attend advocacy meetings with CPG;
- Monitor CPG work and write activity reports;
- Write meeting notes;
- Arrange meetings and workshops;
- As advised by line Manager, represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships, in Mosul;
- Ensure all activities are in accordance with CIVIC’s programmatic goals and within budget;
- Other duties as assigned by Program Manager.
- Experience in facilitating participatory activities and community-level engagement;
- Knowledge of civilian protection issues in armed conflict in Iraq;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere and as a team member;
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments;
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, or related area.
- Minimum 2 years relevant full-time staff level work experience;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team;
- Fluency in Arabic written and spoken mandatory;
- Good knowledge of English language is required;
- Basic report writing skill is necessary; and
- Knowledge of MS word, MS excel and writing email is required.
CIVIC is dedicated to developing its staff and supporting the growth of high potential individuals therefore the ideal candidate will be one who seeks constant improvement, understands how to manage change and looks towards creative solutions to complex problems.
Female and ethnic minority candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
DEADLINE: January 10, 2019. Only finalists will be contacted.