Researcher, MENA/South Asia
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit organization with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
JOB PURPOSE: Undertake research and advocacy within CIVIC’s MENA & South Asia program portfolio.
LOCATION: Washington, DC
TRAVEL: Up to 40% required (domestic and international)
REPORTING TO: Director, MENA & South Asia
- Provide support on research projects to CIVIC's staff in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Yemen country programs;
- Lead research projects in CIVIC’s MENA and South Asia program portfolio, with focus on emerging civilian protection concerns within specific countries and/or the region;
- Coordinate with Director to develop advocacy strategy and regional research initiatives, and manage research projects;
- Develop reports, white papers, op-eds, blog posts and other relevant products based on thorough research; and
- Leverage and analyze data sets from regional programs to identify trends and areas for further research.
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of international humanitarian law and civilian protection issues in armed conflict;
- Understanding and experience working in a fast-paced, multicultural program environment;
- Experience in MENA & South Asia conducting research and carrying out other programmatic work;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, multicultural organization;
- Experience managing research projects, including development and oversight of research project workplans and budgets;
- Ability to design and independently implement research methodology;
- Familiarity with mixed method research approaches and data collection, including both qualitative and quantitative data;
- Strong background in developing and conducting interviews using best practices in informed consent, privacy, and data security;
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement research projects with minimal supervision;
- Willingness to travel to and interview variety of stakeholders – including security forces – in conflict-affected areas throughout MENA;
- Proven record of developing concrete, policy-relevant publications and recommendations out of research;
- Ability to represent the organization and convey complex findings in a coherent and compelling way officials, stakeholders, and partner organizations;
- Outstanding verbal communications and writing skills; and
- Proven history of mentoring colleagues and peers in research design and implementation.
- J.D. or M.A in international affairs, political science, or related area preferred;
- Minimum 5 years relevant full-time staff level work experience required including work in active and recently active conflict zones (minimum 5 years with graduate degree, minimum 7 years without graduate degree);
- Minimum 3 years designing and conducting research, especially in the field;
- Strong work ethic;
- History of independently producing range of high-quality research products;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- Advanced proficiency in Arabic highly desired and English mandatory.
CIVIC provides an innovative leave package geared toward attracting and retaining high potential individuals and includes a flexible leave package (including all government holidays and the week between Christmas and the New Year. We also offer employer paid health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life and disability insurance, and 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary).
DEADLINE: July 8, 2019
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.