Afghanistan: Research Consultant
About The Position
TRAVEL: As needed to Badakhshan and Kandahar
REPORTING TO: Country Director, Afghanistan
Duration: 40 to 60 days.
STAFF REPORTING: N/A
Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission, is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.Learn more at www.civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC- Afghanistan is undertaking research in southern and northeastern regions of Afghanistan to comparatively assess the impact of conflict on civilians. The primary responsibility of the Research Consultant will be to analyze the data collected by field-researchers, identify trends, follow up and support additional research in filed or desk top research, write the report, and work with CIVIC staff to edit and finalize the report.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Use an appropriate methodology to design and manage a research project, which may involve the use of quantitative and/or qualitative methods for data analysis;
• Sort and cluster the collected data and make sure they are all translated into English;
• Analyze the collected data from the field. If more data is needed, contact the fixer in the provinces for further data collection. Supplement with interviews over the phone, travel to provinces, as well as desk top research;
• Work with Country Director and MENA South Asia Director on developing pragmatic recommendations; and
• Write the report in English according to CIVIC style guidelines and work with CIVIC Country Director and MENA South Asia Director for editing and finalizing.
• Experience in quantitative and/or qualitative methodologies and using different research techniques;
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Excellent interpersonal, team working and communication skills;
• Excellent report writing skills in English;
• Confidence in using and computer-based programs
• Accuracy and attention to detail;
• Organization skills, excellent time management and the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
• Minimum Bachelor Degree in Research, Law or Social Sciences or any other relevant field. A master’s degree in the relevant field is preferred.
• Minimum 3-5 years of professional experience in research and report writing in English
• Fluency in Dari & English required. Pashto preferred.