Program Officer, MENA & South Asia
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
The program officer will provide advanced support to a portfolio of projects, with duties including research and advocacy assistance, project management, day-to-day operational support and financial management of the project. This position requires professionalism, strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think logically and follow a process through to completion with minimal supervision.
Job Purpose: Provide project operational and technical management
Location: New York
Travel: Up to 15% required (domestic and international)
Reporting to: Director, MENA & South Asia
· Provides operational and technical support to multiple projects, including document and information management, monitoring and responding to internal and external deadlines, synthesis of financial and other data, and communicating with staff and donors.
· Works across program and country teams to encourage collaboration, efficiency and consistency of processes.
· Meeting support for internal and external meetings, including preparation of meeting materials, note taking and distribution, and follow up with relevant parties.
· Provide research support and analyze data to identify relevant trends on civilian harm in the MENA region.
· Provide copy editing support to internal and external reports.
· Work closely with Program team to create deliverables for donors on grants.
· Logistical support: arranging travel, both domestic and international, including flights, hotels, trains, and local transportation.
· Provide direct support to MENA & South Asia Director on finance and accounting, desk research, and both short and long term programmatic goals.
· BA/BS degree and 3-5 years of relevant work experience OR MA/MS degree and 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
· Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, U.S. and foreign government personnel, and the NGO community.
· Good oral skills to effectively present information and respond to questions.
· Strong writing and copy editing skills.
· Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team and to work within multiple deadlines and timeframes.
· Basic understanding to on protection of civilians and relevant legal frameworks.
· Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
· Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Programs (Word, Excel).
· Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.), Dropbox, and Slack strongly desired.
· Arabic fluency preferred.
CIVIC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to include excellent health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life insurance, a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary), and paid leave plus twelve paid holidays (including the day after Thanksgiving and the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day).
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.
Please Note: Anticipated start date for this position is late June/early July 2019.