Yemen: Security Officer
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
Our growing organization is currently accepting applications for the role of Country Security Officer, Yemen. The successful candidate will identify and report incidents and will be responsible for the security and safety of all field office staff.
The Country Security Officer, Yemen (CSO) main aim is to oversee and provide advice/guidance on safety and security risk management through increased capacity, technical support and advice to the and country program on all aspects of staff safety and security and ensure appropriate systems are in place at the country level. The CSO will monitor the country-wide situation, identify inherent threats and minimize risks to the program in consistent with CIVICs Security Policy and Standards.
Job Purpose: Provide safety and security guidance and management.
Location: Aden, Yemen
Travel: Up to 40% required (domestic)
Reporting to: Country Director, Yemen
Staff Reporting: N/A
The Security Officer will be responsible for security management as an advisor to the Country Director and will respond to emergency and crises situations where and when needed. S/he will:
· Coordinate and provide training to field staff (Expatriates & Nationals)
· Conduct safety and security assessments of all CIVIC offices in country
· Act as a liaison with local and regional officials, and other agencies regarding security issues in the planning, coordination, promotion of, and support for existing and future CIVIC projects
· Collect, author, compile and analyze security related reports, SOP's and related security information from multiple sources ensuring CIVICs security posture is current and relevant to the situation on the ground
· Track and report on relevant incidences, near misses, and the geopolitical situation in Yemen and relevant bordering countries
· Ensure CIVIC Yemen personnel adhere to all safety and security protocols
· Support and build the capacity of national staff on security protocols
· Provide in-country briefing on security and protocols for HQ staff visiting.
· Work with HQ security to insure the proper implementation of security policies and procedures
· Support CD as required
· At least a bachelor’s degree in social sciences
· Fluent in English- required
· 5 years of field security experience in hostile environments
· Advance First Aid training
· Previous experience working in NGO
· Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
· Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
· Ability to relate to and motivate local staff effectively
· Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources
· Excellent decision making skills
· Must work independently under difficult conditions
· Yemen national
To apply please send cover letter explaining your interest in CIVIC’s work and resume.
Deadline: February 28, 2019
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.