Afghanistan: Program Associate, Kunduz
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
CIVIC is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Program Associate, Community Engagement in Kunduz, Afghanistan who will be an integral part of the CIVIC country program team reporting to the Afghanistan Program Manager and working closely with other staff members in Afghanistan and at HQ.
JOB PURPOSE: Lead community engagement activities in Kunduz, in close coordination with Kabul-based program team.
LOCATION: Kunduz, Afghanistan.
TRAVEL: Throughout Kunduz province and other areas in Afghanistan as required.
REPORTING TO: Country Program Manager, Afghanistan.
STAFF REPORTING: N/A
· Take lead on activates related to establishment of Community Civilian Protection Council (CCPC) and Civilian Protection Working Group (CPWG) in coordination with Kabul-based program manager, including:
o Identifying respected leaders of community both men and women to become members of CCPCs;
o Identifying NGOs working on human rights and protection issues to form CPWG;
o Prepare a list of interested local CSOs and share their details with Program Manager in Kabul;
· Provide oversight, monitoring, and support to CCPC and CPWG, including:
o Assist PM with the capacity-building workshops for CCPC and CPWG;
o Organize and attend monthly meetings with CCPC and CPWG;
o Attend advocacy meetings with CCPC and CPWG;
o Administrative management of the CCPC and CPWG;
o Help CPWG to draft press statements on civilian casualty incidents;
o Monitor the work and activities of CCPC and CPWG and report to PM;
· Liaise with government and security officials for meetings and workshops;
· Assist PM with civilian and military dialogues;
· Assist PM with the conduct of the workshops for ANDSF.
· Experience in facilitating participatory activities and community-level engagement;
· Knowledge, experience, and understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
· Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
· Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere and as a team member;
· Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments;
· Experience in representing organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
· Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
· B.A. in international affairs, political science, or related area;
· 2-5 years relevant full-time staff level work experience;
· Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team;
· Fluency in English, Dari, and Pashto written and spoken mandatory;
· Proficiency with range of computer applications, including use of the Internet, Microsoft Office Suite, and communications platforms (Slack, Google, etc);
· Strong written and verbal skills, ability to interact professionally with wide variety of individuals internal and external to the organization;
· Understanding of local political context and protection landscape and actors, include ANDSF, is preferred.
To apply please visit: https://civiliansinconflict.org/join-our-team/ and follow directions for the position.
Closing Date: July 9, 2019.