Afghanistan: Researcher, Kabul
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict’s mission is to improve protection for civilians caught in conflicts around the world. We call on and advise international organizations, governments, militaries, and armed non-state actors to adopt and implement policies, tools, and training to prevent civilian harm. When civilians are harmed we advocate for the provision of amends and post-harm assistance. We bring the voices of civilians themselves to those making decisions affecting their lives.
JOB PURPOSE: Research and advocacy on civilian protection concerns in Afghanistan
LOCATION: Kabul, Afghanistan
TRAVEL: As needed throughout Afghanistan
REPORTING TO: Country Director, Afghanistan
STAFF REPORTING: Consultants as necessary
· Design methodologies and conduct desk and field research per CIVIC’s objectives in coordination with the Country Director and other team members in Afghanistan and at CIVIC’s headquarters;
· Identify and conduct interviews with civilians, key security actors, government officials, civil society organizations, international organizations and other potential sources of information as required;
· Draft research reports, policy briefs, memos, advocacy talking points, and other necessary materials to support completion of program activities and deliverables;
· Manage research budget,
· Work with the Afghanistan team and HQ to support monitoring, evaluation, and learning processes and to monitor and report on the impact of CIVIC’s program in Afghanistan ;
· Work with Afghanistan team to develop and implement an in-country advocacy strategy per CIVIC’s objectives.
· Work with the Country Director to identify, recruit, and supervise local research consultant as per program needs
- Represent CIVIC with civil society organizations, international organizations and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Comply with and implement CIVIC’s security procedures and protocols;
· Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
- Experience in conflict sensitive and gender sensitive research in Afghanistan and interviewing civilians (previous experience working with security forces is plus);
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of civilian protection issues in Afghanistan and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Proven ability to articulate research findings and influence decision-makers through written products;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting project objectives and developing research methodologies and advocacy strategies; identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Fluent in Dari or Pahsto;
- Excellent English language skills, particularly writing and editing;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure and insecure context;
- Ability to work independently; Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments;
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Interest in working with and contributing to a close-knit program team;
- Willingness to work with diverse stakeholders, including conflict-affected communities, civil society organizations, high-level political and policy decision-makers, humanitarians, and security forces.
- MA in international affairs, political science, or related area;.
- Minimum 3-5 years of relevant full-time staff level work experience;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- Minimum 1 year relevant field experience, ideally including work in active or recently active conflict zones;
- Fluent in Dari or Pahsto; and
- Excellent English language skills, particularly writing and editing.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: July 15, 2019
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early. Only finalists will be contacted.