Security and Safety Officer
About The Position
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond to civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
Job Purpose: Provide safety and security guidance and management.
Location: Erbil , Iraq
Travel: Up to 40% required (domestic). Will be required to travel overseas to attend trainings/workshops overseas.
Reporting to: Country Director, Iraq
Staff Reporting: N/A
The Security and Safety Officer will be responsible for security management as an advisor to the staff and will respond to emergency and crises situations where and when needed. S/he will:
1. Planning and Preparation.
1.1. Conduct safety and security risk assessments;
1.2. Represent CIVIC with local and federal security forces , and other agencies regarding security issues in the planning, coordination, promotion of, and support for existing and future CIVIC projects.
2. Procedures and Protocols.
2.1. Assist in designing and developing CIVIC Iraq SOPs and guidelines.
2.2. Manage the CIVIC Iraq safety and security workplan (informed by CIVIC Iraq’s security risk assessment and CIVIC’s minimum operating safety and security standards)
2.3. Manage the CIVIC SATPHONES and other security related equipment for CIVIC Iraq.
2.4. Manage the CIVIC Staff Tracking system for all staff and visitors to Iraq.
2.5. Make sure CIVIC Iraq personnel adhere to all safety and security protocols prescribed in the CIVIC security management plan
2.6. Work with HQ security to insure the proper implementation of security policies and procedures.
3. Crisis Preparedness and Management Response.
3.1 Assist in maintaining current contingency plans for major events and critical incidents.
3.2 Advise the CIVIC Iraq Management Team of events affecting or which could potentially affect staff safety or cause damage / injury to CIVIC staff and assets.
3.3 Be prepared to deploy on short notice to support operations in any CIVIC program area.
3.4 Coordinate with CIVIC Iraq Management Team and advise them of possible actions or options in a time of crisis or emergency.
3.5 Assist with emergency medical evacuations.
3.6 Investigate and follow up on security incidents where CIVIC staff or assets are involved.
4. Advise and Report
4.1. Provide the CIVIC Iraq Management Team with updated reports on the safety situation in the country office and the steps being taken to address these.
4.2. Collect, author, compile and assist in analyzing security related reports, SOP's and related security information from multiple sources ensuring CIVICs security posture is current and relevant to the situation on the ground.
4.3. Track and report on relevant incidences, near misses, and the geopolitical situation in Iraq and relevant bordering countries
4.4. Briefing the Country Team on safety and security developments within the area of CIVIC’s operations and other areas of interest.
4.5. Overseeing the completion of reports (e.g. SITREPs, Travel Advisories) for the Country Office, on a regular and ongoing basis.
4.6. Providing feedback to the Country Director on progress in respect to safety actions and initiatives.
4.7. Providing technical advice to Country Office in respect of staff safety.
4.8. Ensuring that regular strategic risk assessments are conducted and management informed of emerging trends and threats.
5. Capacity Development and Support.
5.1. Support and build the capacity of national staff on security protocols
5.2. Coordinate and provide security training to field staff (Expatriates & Nationals) (e.g. NGOs Basic SecurityManagement (NBSM))
- Required qualifications include:
· Diploma in related field.
· 3 to 5 years in of field security experience in hostile environments
· Extensive knowledge to local structures, procedures and correspondence in Iraq.
· Previous experience working in NGO
· Solid network including senior officials.
· Computer skills: Windows/ Mac operating systems, MS excel, MS Word, and PowerPoint.
· Quick learner
· Disciplined and oriented
· Must work independently under difficult conditions
· Competent and literate in Arab and English (including verbal and written), with a sound knowledge of technical expressions.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability, sound judgment and the ability to work effectively with others at all levels.
· Support in developing security related technical tools guidelines and systems
· Demonstrated knowledge of the historical and socio-political context of Iraq and Middle East.
· Demonstrable knowledge of Humanitarian risk management.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
· Ability to make good judgment on staff safety and provide appropriate advice.
· Ability to manage under stressful conditions.
· Ability to analyze and understand complex situations and translate these into specific policy advice.
· Familiar with Track24 and SATPHONE communications equipment.
· Certificate in Medical Response/First Aid.
· HEAT Course within last five years.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.