Program Officer, Security Forces - Aden and Taiz, Yemen
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Program Officer, based in Aden Yemen who will be a part of the CIVIC program team reporting to the Country Director, Yemen and will work closely with the MENA Director, Senior Program Manager, and other staff members at HQ.
JOB PURPOSE: Trainings and engagement with Yemeni security actors and government
LOCATION: Aden, Yemen
TRAVEL: As needed throughout Yemen
REPORTING TO: Country Director, Yemen
STAFF REPORTING: Consultants, as needed
- Engage with governorate officials, provincial security actors;
- Liaise with officials to get approvals;
- Conduct baseline assessment of trainees’ knowledge and processes for civilian protection;
- Establish relationship with commanders for planned trainings and seek opportunities for follow up assessment and new trainings;
- Conduct train-the-trainer on CIVIC training materials with commanders and at training centers;
- Identify new opportunities for advocacy and trainings;
- Establish relationship with local government officials and civil society organizations;
- Provide input on updating training materials as necessary, write relevant briefing papers, articles as necessary;
- Represent CIVIC with NGO and international organizations and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Serve as MEL focal point for the project. Ensure all output and outcome data for all activities is collected, verified, and follow-up on as needed. Provide support to Community Engagement Officers, Program Officers, and Program Associates to improve data collection.
- Responsible for populating and managing project’s MEL database (indicator table and outcome tracking).
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals in Yemen.
- Experience in security force training and participatory facilitation preferred;
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere and as a team member;
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments;
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, or related area; MA preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant full-time staff level work experience;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- Fluency in English and Arabic mandatory.
This is a full-time, 1 year contract with the possibility of extension, depending on successful renewal of program.
Deadline: September 30, 2020
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.