Officer, Community Engagement -Aden and Taiz, Yemen
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
The Aden and Taiz Community Engagement officer will provide subject matter technical knowledge on issues faced by communities affected by the conflict in the governorates of Aden and Taiz. They will have representation responsibilities, working with communities/civilians, government and security force representatives, police, and other security actors, as well as CSOs/NGOs/INGOs located in Aden and Taiz. The Community Engagement Officer will develop, facilitate and support CIVIC’s community engagement efforts on civilian protection and outreach capabilities through community self-protection workshops and civil-military dialogues as well as military and vigilante group workshops. This is a full-time position.
JOB PURPOSE: Provide subject matter technical knowledge and develop, facilitate, and support CIVIC’s community engagement processes.
LOCATION: Aden, Yemen
TRAVEL: As needed throughout Yemen
REPORTING TO: Country Director, Yemen
STAFF REPORTING: Consultants, as needed
- Lead CIVIC’s efforts to mobilize communities in Aden and Taiz to strengthen community self-protection mechanisms,
- Create platforms for improved civilian-military relations, to conduct field research on civilian security issues
- Lead a Protection Network and related advocacy campaigns aimed at increasing the understanding and commitment to civilian protection and harm mitigation by all groups, including local government officials, security forces, self-defence groups.
- Work with CIVIC program officers in Aden and other pertinent staff to design, manage, and implement community engagement activities in support of CIVIC’s Yemen program;
- Work with CIVIC Aden team to plan and implement community engagement activities in Aden and Taiz
- Provide input in program work, including activity planning and budgeting exercises relevant to activities implemented in the area of community engagement, as required. In coordination with the Aden team:
- Develop workplan with timeline for community engagement activities
- Identify targeted districts and criteria for selection of the districts.
- Identify local civil society organizations, community groups to take part in the community engagement program
- Identify and develop criteria for selected individuals who will form the core group for CIVIC to work with to engage community and advocating security actors to improve civilian protection.
- Organize including taking care of logistics the training for community and civil society leaders on civilian protection issues:
- Organize workshops/hearing sessions for community leaders and communities with security officials to discuss civilian protection issues in targeted districts
- Build strong relations with local officials, community-based and civil society organizations and like-minded INGOs to support CIVIC community engagement activities.
- Ensure women, men, girls, and boys are involved in CIVIC community engagement program and increase their voice and influence around protection issues
- Support research and drafting of publications (reports, briefing papers, etc.) on community protection issues; translate findings and experiences from community-level work to CIVIC’s advocacy efforts
- Collect, verify, and follow-up output and outcome data for community engagement activities
- Ensure all supporting documentation for CE activities gathered and filed
- As advised by line manager, represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships;
- Take the lead and responsibility for planning and implementing civilian protection activities including trainings, seminars, and follow up
- Submit thorough and detailed reports on community engagement activities (in Arabic).
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals.
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, or related area; MA preferred.
- Minimum 5-7 years relevant full-time staff level work experience;
- Knowledge of the local community and good relationships with local actors
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of our team; and
- Fluency in English and Arabic mandatory.
This is a full-time, 1-year contract with the possibility of extension, depending on successful renewal of program.
Deadline: September 30, 2020
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.