Government Liaison Officer, Yemen
About The Position
Government Liaison Officer
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Government Liaison officer, based in Aden, Yemen who will be a part of the CIVIC program team reporting to the Country Director, Yemen.
JOB PURPOSE: Liaising with Government officials and gain support for CIVIC’s Program Activities in Yemen
LOCATION: Aden, Yemen
TRAVEL: As needed throughout Yemen
REPORTING TO: Country Director, Yemen
- Map out key stakeholders including government officials and change agents at the Ministry of Defense, Ministry of Interior and other departments responsible for security and military operations
- Establish relationships with these stakeholders and introduce CIVIC’s past work in Yemen and begin to gauge interest in collaborative work on trainings and technical assistance on civilian protection
- Facilitate meetings for CIVIC HQ
- Conduct interviews with government and security officials on challenges in current policies and trainings during security operations
- Proactively identify opportunities for CIVIC to feed into existing policy initiatives around the conflict and civilian issues;
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals in Yemen.
- Knowledge, experience, and understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Existing connections within Iraqi government ministries, military and security forces;
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize, manage, build partnerships, and implement projects in in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere;
- Knowledge of conflict-related issues in Iraq and understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflicts including international humanitarian law;
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive political and security environments;
- Willingness and experience working with security forces and understanding of the military/civilian/humanitarian spaces;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Fluency in English and Arabic
This is a part time contract
Deadline: September 30, 2020
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.