Intern, Operations Team
About The Position
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
CIVIC is seeking highly qualified applicants for our Spring Internship program to work directly with our Sr. Director, Operations to support several projects necessary for the growth of this highly dynamic organization. An internship at CIVIC is a rigorous and rewarding experience, requiring strong interpersonal skills, a working knowledge of international operations, and an exceptional level of maturity and focus. Our interns and fellows have participated in high-level Washington DC meetings and often have the opportunity to design and advocate for their own projects within CIVICs scope of work. They have gone on to full time employment in organizations such as the International Committee of the Red Cross, Department of Defense, Department of State, Open Society Foundation, and the World Bank.
This internship is open to current undergraduate level students and graduate students.
Internship duties may include, but are not limited to:
· Support research of human resource best practices in similar organizations within our industry;
· Work closely with our field offices to understand country registration requirements and support the Sr. Director, Operations in organizing the information in a manner which permits HQ to manage these processes;
· Research best practices for compliance and management of Board of Directors for non-profits in the US as well as in Europe;
· Collaborate with other members of the operations team to streamline processes, the development and roll-out to a global staff; and
· Support operations team in properly documenting, organizing and capturing service level agreements.
Applicants should be flexible and have confidence in handling multiple tasks, as well as the ability to work independently. Applicants are expected to have excellent writing and interpersonal skills and should anticipate using these skills frequently. Course-work in cultural sensitivities, international development, financial management or operations management are required. Advanced experience with Microsoft office suite and other tools is a plus. Interns will be expected to maintain a level of confidentiality and discretion when working with sensitive information.
DEADLINE: DECEMBER 21, 2018
Minimum Time Requirement: This is a full-time internship and interns should be available for a period of at least four months, beginning in January 2019 and running through May 2019.
This is an unpaid internship; interns working in the Washington DC office qualify for a small daily stipend for food and travel. CIVIC is not able to sponsor candidates for this position; a valid visa is required.
To apply: Please email your resume and a cover letter stating your interest in CIVIC.