Ukraine: Senior Officer, Protection
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC is expanding its presence in Ukraine and is looking for highly-motivated professionals to join the organization Ukraine country program.
Work with the Senior Protection Officer, and CIVIC Ukraine Program team to ensure successful implementation of projects within the Ukraine portfolio. The incumbent will implement the community-based protection component with a focus on civilian-military dialogues in 3-5 communities along the conflict line in East of Ukraine. S/he will serve as the CIVIC’s interface to the military, communities, local government, and civil society as regards to all aspects related to the implementation of community-based protection component of the program.
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Travel: 30% of time, mostly in the east of Ukraine and sometimes to Kyiv
Reporting to: Country Director, Ukraine
Staff reporting: Protection Officer
- Develop and implement a robust CBP strategy to advance better protection of civilians affected by hostilities in the East of Ukraine, improve relationships between the military and civilians so that they engage in productive dialogue to seek for protection solutions.
- Establish strong partnerships with communities, local governments, local and international NGO/CSOs/IOs within the protection area, identifying opportunities for cooperation and leveraging existing platforms. Represent CIVIC at inter-agency coordination platforms such as the UN Protection Cluster and its sub-clusters, humanitarian and civil-military coordination fora.
- Coordinate CIVIC program interventions within the international and national civilian protection community of practice, contribute to the coordination within the regional community of practice.
- Work with the international consultant to adapt the methodology for civil-military dialogues to the Ukraine context and implement it within the program.
- Work with the Senior Advisor, Policy and Advocacy, to ensure recommendations on improving assistance to civilians are followed up at the local level and are implemented.
- Work with the Senior Military Advisor to ensure transversal approach to our POC work and harness synergies between CBP-based activities and CIVIC’s training and capacity building with Ukrainian armed/security forces.
- Develop plans, and prepare reports for regular and ad hoc planning and reporting products.
- Contribute to the development of advocacy products (briefings, reports, surveys) that capture and amplify the voices and perspectives of civilians in authentic and compelling ways to support CIVIC advocacy strategy, with the support of the Communications officer.
- Under the guidance of the Program Manager, conduct regular monitoring and project data collection for keeping the M&E plan updated. Support the Senior MEL Advisor in conducting evaluations and other MEL activities at various stages of the projects.
- Contribute to the development of communication strategies to disseminate advocacy products via meeting, public events, as well as social media and other outreach channels.
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals in Ukraine.
- Directly implement CIVIC’s community-based protection component in 3-5 communities in the East (exact communities to be determined during the inception phase of the projects).
- Provide guidance, set work plans and manage the workflow of the Protection Officer to ensure s/he delivers the expected results.
- Advanced university degree in a social science, political science, international relations, law, or a related field.
- Solid knowledge of POC and IHL related matter, as well as prior experience in protection and community engagement applying a CBP approach, dialogue facilitation and similar projects are mandatory.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience, including work in conflict zones.
- Experience in projects in the field of conflict and security and/or protection.
- Understanding of the conflict landscape in Ukraine and issues related to protection of civilians.
- Willingness and experience working with conflict-affected populations and security forces.
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities.
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere and as a team member.
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments.
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive environments, ability to maintain neutrality and impartiality in line with the organization’s mission.
- English, Ukrainian, Russian fluency mandatory.