Ukraine: Officer, Military Engagement
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC is expanding its presence in Ukraine and is looking for highly-motivated professionals to join the organization Ukraine country program.
OFFICER, MILITARY ENGAGEMENT
Work with the Senior Military Advisor, and CIVIC Ukraine Program team to ensure successful implementation of projects within the Ukraine portfolio. This includes contributing to development of strategies for successful implementation of the project; engaging with Ukrainian military education system to ensure development, integration and delivery of curricula, courses and other training tools on protection of civilians for the military; work with the Armed Forces of Ukraine and other security and defense actors to address the issues outside training for the military (e.g. Civilian Casualty Mitigation Team's operations); work with international partners to ensure coordination and complementarity of trainings for the military and security forces.
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Travel: 20% of time, mostly to the east of Ukraine
Reporting to: Senior Military Advisor, Ukraine
Staff reporting: None
- Ensure effective implementation of the military/security forces capacity building component of the program, including meeting deliverables on time, within budget, and according to CIVIC and donor standards.
- Contribute to the development of project planning documents outlining strategies for policy advocacy, partners engagement, technical assistance to the Ukraine Armed Forces (UAF) and other relevant actors.
- Work with other CIVIC team members in Ukraine providing advice and support on military issues where needed.
- Liaise with Ukrainian military universities, schools, training centers and research institutions; Ukrainian Armed Forces' units and structures (the General Staff, Regional Commands, specific brigades) and security structures (the National Guard and others) to further embedding protection of civilians/civilian harm mitigation (POC/CHM) in their in-service training and education systems.
- With the guidance of the Senior Military Advisor, contribute to the development of curricula, courses and other training tools on protection of civilians, including computerized tactical decision games.
- Liaise with the Joint Forces Operation's Command and specific units in the JFO to support CIVIC's activities in the zone of conflict.
- Liaise with international military training missions, including US, UK and Canadian military operations in Ukraine, to follow up on agreements reached during meeting discussions.
- Coordinate with other international organizations providing training for the UAF and other defense and security actors.
- Conduct trainings for Ukrainian defense and security structures upon request as needed.
- Perform other duties as required to further the organization’s mission and goals in Ukraine.
- Advanced university degree preferably in military studies, international affairs, political science, human rights, etc.
- Minimum 5-7 years of relevant work experience required, including work in conflict zones.
- Excellent knowledge of the military education and training system of Ukraine.
- Experience in developing military training courses/curricula/tools is an advantage.
- Experience as a military officer serving in conflict zones is preferred.
- Willingness and experience of working with security forces.
- Understanding of issues civilians face during armed conflicts.
- Experience in security and armed force training and participatory facilitation.
- Experience of managing projects in the field of conflict and security.
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work.
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure atmosphere and as a team member.
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs in stressful environments.
- Experience in representing organizations in sensitive environments, ability to maintain neutrality and impartiality in line with the organization’s mission.
- Ukrainian fluency is mandatory, solid knowledge of English is highly desirable.