Ukraine: Officer, Communications
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC is expanding its presence in Ukraine and is looking for highly-motivated professionals to join the organization Ukraine country program.
The Communications Officer will help the Country Director and the Senior Advisor, Policy and Advocacy to advance protection of civilians (POC) topics in Ukraine to influence policy advocacy processes as well as raise awareness on these issues among the general public. Along the way the incumbent will aid in producing high-quality research reports and policy briefs, writing and editing engaging and accessible blog entries, and taking a lead role in expanding CIVIC’s presence on the Web and in social media. The position requires a journalists’ eye for detail and obsession with news, a marketer’s savvy sense of what catches the audience’s attention, and a fluency with current local and international issues surrounding conflict and civilians in east of Ukraine.
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine
Travel: 30% of time, mostly to east of Ukraine
Reporting to: Senior Advisor, Policy and Advocacy
Staff reporting: None
- In coordination with the Senior Advisor, Policy and Advocacy, as well as the Country Director, prepare news releases, statements and policy briefs, op-eds, blog posts, and other communication materials.
- In coordination with the Senior Protection Advisor and his/her team, collect stories of civilians and work on presenting them in a form that supports the policy advocacy work: briefs, photo and video materials etc.
- In close cooperation with the Senior Advisor, Policy and Advocacy, organize public events with a component to amplify the voices and perspectives of civilians in authentic and compelling ways.
- Copy edit reports, press releases, and other materials.
- Manage publication of reports, policy briefs, and marketing materials for online distribution.
- Liaise with video- and photographers to collect materials on civilians caught in conflict.
- Write and edit blog posts that succinctly explain and humanize complex issues.
- Assist in managing press lists and inputting on strategy.
- Managing media relations as needed.
- Conducting research related to major projects, campaigns or events.
- Monitor and measure print, broadcast, and online media.
- Ensure that all communications materials meet data protection policies.
- Assist with communications and creative work as needed.
- Maintains constant contact with HQ communications team to ensure alignment with CIVIC standards, and coordinating on global media campaigns.
- Function as a self-sustaining member of CIVIC’s Ukraine team.
- MA in Ukrainian, English, Journalism, Communications, Human Rights or a field directly applicable to this role is required.
- Three to five years of experience in communications or other relevant field.
- Exceptional verbal/written communication skills, including editing and proofreading. A focused, detail-oriented professional, who strives for near perfection, but remains flexible.
- Top-notch skills in social media (metrics, analysis, etc.) and basic Web design. WordPress experience preferred.
- Fluency with Adobe Creative Suite (primarily Photoshop, Premier, and InDesign).
- Demonstrated ability to create content that explains complex topics clearly and succinctly.
- Project Management: must be proactive, highly motivated and collaborative. Ability to successfully manage multiple projects simultaneously with an eye for details under sometimes aggressive timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain internal and external professional relationships.
- Ability to work well in cross-organizational teams with a wide variety of audiences.
- Always shows respect for a diverse constituency of staff and members.
- Ukraine and English language fluency is required.