Associate, Development/Executive Assistant
About The Position
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit organization with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond to civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
ABOUT THE POSITION: CIVIC seeks a highly qualified, organized, and motivated development associate/executive assistant to jointly support the organization’s small but dedicated fundraising team and the organization’s Executive Director in a 60/40 split role.
A strong work ethic, an eagerness to develop Development-related proficiencies, and commitment to CIVIC's mission are critical. The successful candidate will possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills, be detail-oriented, possess the ability to trouble-shoot and research solutions, and enjoy a fast-paced work environment where no two days are exactly alike.
In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, CIVIC offers a challenging, fast-paced work environment that provides staff with professional opportunities for growth and values diversity and independent thought.
Job Purpose: Support for CIVIC’s Development and Executive-level Outreach
Location: Washington, DC
Reporting to: Director, Development
Staff Reporting: Development Intern
Development Associate (60%-80%):
This position will support the Development team’s institutional partnerships portfolio in the cultivation of government and foundation donors for CIVIC’s programmatic work. Because the Development team’s work is fast-moving and dynamic, there may be tasks that lie outside of those listed here. However, some expected responsibilities for the successful candidate include the following, which will be conducted in close coordination with senior staff:
- Identifying and conducting background research on prospective funders.
- Supporting donor capture plan strategies to turn prospective funders into active donors, including identifying entry points, conducting network mapping, and drafting outreach emails.
- Preparing for and providing coordination support to donor meetings, including assembling agendas, developing background briefers, arranging logistics, and taking notes.
- Coordinating proposal processes with program teams, including making sure tasks and deadlines are met.
- Preparing donor proposals for submission by conducting clerical edits and assembling final packaging.
- Maintaining knowledge management tools and resources for institutional donors, including Salesforce and grants and proposals trackers.
- Providing ad hoc donor intelligence and fundraising support to program teams.
Executive Assistant (20%-40%):
This position will support the administrative and logistical needs of the Executive Director:
- Manages the Executive Director’s calendar, coordinate meetings, and ensures that the ED’s schedule is managed and communicated in an efficient manner;
- Organizes and coordinates Executive Director’s travel and accommodation arrangements, including registration at key conferences and events;
- Drafts and edits correspondence, communications, and other documents including presentations, concepts, and other ED-focused materials as required;
- Reconciles monthly expenses and expense reports for the ED.
- Supports Director, Development in Board of Director management duties; and
- Works directly with the Executive Director to support logistics, planning and execution of all events as needed.
- Demonstrated commitment to CIVIC’s mission and program, with familiarity with concepts related to civilian protection a plus;
- BA; with 1-3+ years non-profit fundraising-related experience;
- Superlative written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail;
- Knowledge of research techniques and resources related to philanthropy;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced and high-pressure atmosphere;
- Independent self-starter and well-organized;
- Positive attitude, sense of humor, and ability to work efficiently and effectively in a remote environment;
- Demonstrated work ethic;
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft/Google Applications; and
- Familiarity with Salesforce a big plus.
- International experience or perspective, especially related to Africa, MENA/SA, conflict and peacebuilding, or protection of civilians.
CIVIC provides an innovative benefits package geared toward attracting and retaining high potential individuals and includes a flexible leave package (including all government holidays and the week between Christmas and the New Year). We also offer employer paid health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life and disability insurance, and a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary).
Deadline: August 8, 2020
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.