Development Manager/Major Gifts Officer
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
About the Position
CIVIC seeks a highly qualified and motivated Development Manager/Major Gifts Officer to support the organization’s small but dedicated Development team, with a focus on increasing and diversifying our giving portfolio, primarily through high net worth individuals (HNWI), including by researching prospects, cultivating and building relationships with donors, and writing high-quality donor outreach materials geared to different audiences.
Experience with fundraising with HNWI, exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and a commitment to CIVIC's mission are critical. Other attributes should include the ability to translate often-technical information for prospects and donors; strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively within CIVIC as well as external partners; attention to detail; and the ability to think creatively and strategically throughout the lifecycle of donor engagement.
In addition to tangible benefits listed below, CIVIC offers a challenging, fast-paced work environment that provides staff with professional opportunities for growth and values diversity and independent thought.
Job Purpose: Increase and diversify funding for CIVIC’s programs
Location: Flexible (Washington, DC preferred)
Travel: Up to 20% required (primarily within North America and Europe)
Reporting to: Director, Development
Staff Reporting: Interns
- Works with CIVIC’s Executive Director, Development Director, and other staff to identify and solicit new sources of support by matching CIVIC’s programs with donors’ giving priorities;
- Assists in the development and implementation of a pipeline of prospective donors, applying lessons learned to modify strategies as necessary;
- Develops portfolio of qualified donor prospects and liaises with senior program leads to develop strategies for cultivating and stewarding donor relationships;
- Forms relationships with current and prospective donors and members of CIVIC’s Board to generate broader support for CIVIC’s mission and priority programs;
- Executes the full range of moves management techniques to secure gifts from HNWI including small donor cultivation events, creative impact reporting, and thoughtful sustained engagement activities;
- Maintain robust records tracking all activities with donors most notably through the donor database (Salesforce).
- Develops high-quality donor proposals and other outreach materials for donors in close coordination with senior CIVIC staff;
- Assembles and synthesizes often-complex information into clear, concise and compelling proposal language;
- Works with senior program staff to align program plans, budgets, and deliverables with proposal timelines and deliverables;
- Writes, reviews, and edits donor content, ensuring all narrative, numeric and graphic information is accurate and up-to-date.
- Demonstrated commitment to CIVIC’s mission and program, with familiarity with concepts related to civilian protection is a plus;
- BA; MA preferred, with 6+ years’ work experience, including HNWI fundraising and outreach;
- Proven track record growing non-profit revenue, particularly at small NGOs;
- Superlative communication skills, with demonstrated ability to present and write in a clear, articulate, and persuasive manner to different audiences;
- Knowledge of, and experienced in prospect research techniques and resources related to philanthropy; experience with Salesforce a plus;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced and high-pressure atmosphere;
- Well-organized and ability to work effectively as part of a team;
- Ability to empathize with others;
- A good sense of humor; and
- Demonstrated work ethic.
CIVIC provides an innovative leave package geared toward attracting and retaining high potential individuals and includes a flexible leave package (including all government holidays and the week between Christmas and the New Year). We also offer employer paid health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life and disability insurance, and 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary).
CIVIC is not able to sponsor or provide work visa's and, thus, applicants must be legally able to work on locations prior to applying for this position.
REQUIREMENT FOR APPLICATION: Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 page-writing sample when applying to this posting. Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early.