HR Consultant, Abuja, Nigeria
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
Position: HR Consultant - 3 Months
Reporting: Senior Country Operations Manager
The Human Resource Officer is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within CIVIC Nigeria.
This includes but is not limited to: Talent Acquisition & development; employee engagement coordination; countrywide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; countrywide performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life, etc)
· Participate in the development, planning, and implementation of recruiting activities designed to enhance CIVIC Nigeria ability to attract and retain qualified candidates.
· Develop strategic relationships with strategic hiring sources (e.g. colleges, universities, networks, associations), ensuring awareness of CIVIC Nigeria as a destination employer
· Establishes recruiting requirements by studying organization plans and objectives; meeting with managers to discuss needs
· Builds applicant sources by researching and contacting community services, colleges, employment agencies, recruiters, media, and internet sites; providing organization information, opportunities, and benefits; making presentations; maintaining rapport
· Effect all required recruitment activities in line with the set recruitment process and applicable staffing plans
· Run the full post recruitment activities for all CIVIC’s hires
· Run onboarding activities for CIVIC’s national staff and expatriate hires
· Recommend strategic and creative sourcing strategies that support CIVIC Nigeria mission and human resource goals and objectives
· Work closely with hiring managers to identify personnel needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications and skills
· Develop and maintain a network of contacts to help identify and source qualified candidates
· Screen and refer external and internal candidates for additional interviews with others in the organization
· Review applications/resumes and interview candidates to obtain work history, education, training, job skills, salary requirements and to provide information about the organization and position
· Participate with managers in interviews, clarifying employment policy and procedures
· Perform reference and background checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers
· Prepare documentation including remuneration package attached to offers for new hires in accordance with CIVIC recruitment process flow
· Assist with the development and presentation of talent acquisition procedures for field and headquarters staff at regional meetings, orientations and training functions
· Enter and maintain recruitment information on Comeet.
· Perform and promote all activities in compliance with equal employment and non-discrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, Agency policies and the professional standards
· Translate departmental work plan and countrywide annual HR plan into specific activities to be carried out within region of the cover
· Follow CIVIC Policies and Procedures for Human Resources as stipulated in the Staff Handbook including the recruitment policy and other guidelines.
· Maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and contracts/pay rises and salary information.
· Carry out other tasks as needed to fulfil responsibilities.
Degree and Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management/Business or related field
· 3-5 years of professional experience with at least 4 years of progressive and hands-on HR generalist experience evident in multiple human resource disciplines specifically Recruitment, Selection, Orientation, Onboarding and Talent Management
· At least three years’ experience in recruiting for the private and/or not for profit sectors
· Proven experience recruiting for multiple positions within a multi-project/program environment
· In-depth knowledge of HR and Nigerian Labour laws
· Ability to design and execute effective and creative recruitment strategies for difficult-to-fill international recruitment assignments
· Membership of relevant professional body (CIPM, SHRM, etc) is an added advantage
· Fluency in English is required. Fluency in any other Nigerian languages including Yoruba, Hausa and Kanuri will be considered a plus
· Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, benefits administration, organizational planning and development, employee relations, recruitment, selection and onboarding
· Must have excellent skills in the use of all Microsoft office tools
· Must have previous experience in recruitment and onboarding systems management
· Must have excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
· Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
· Must have excellent interpersonal skills
· Must exhibit a high level of initiative, flexibility and creativity