G5 Sahel Joint Force: Operations and Security Officer
About The Position
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
The Operations and Security Officer is responsible for operations management of CIVIC’s Mali-based program with the G5 Sahel Joint Force. CIVIC’s program focuses on supporting the G5 Sahel Joint Force’s (G5S-JF) efforts to implement the human rights compliance framework (HRCF). The HRCF includes mechanisms for civilian casualty and incident tracking, screening, training, rules/regulations/standard operating procedures, planning and operations that consider human rights and international humanitarian law, after action reviews (AAR), and accountability measures.
This position will require a talented candidate with a strong background in supporting field operations – including logistics, procurement, and security. The candidate will be responsible for security/risk mitigation and office management. This position requires independence, strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to anticipate needs and respond to staff inquiries on a broad range of subjects. This is a local position and benefits will be in line with Malian law.
Location: Bamako, Mali, with travel to Niamey, Niger (and potential for periodic travel to Burkina Faso, Chad and Mauritania as well as travel to more remote locations in the Sahel)
Travel: Up to 25% required (domestic and international)
Reports To: Regional Field Director (RFD)
Security and Risk management
· Oversee local and international staff travel arrangements with regard to security;
· In consultation with CIVIC’s security staff and consultants, responsible for overall security management of field office and staff
o Understands the local security context
o Helps develop and implement the security protocol and the overall security management of the office
o Monitor local and international staff during travel, including local news reports, security alerts, Track24 and regular check-ins.
o Monitors international travel of staff/consultants, including all of the above as well as responsible for a security briefing upon arrival of the local security situation and mitigating steps needed.
· In consultation with CIVIC’s security staff and consultants, responsible for overall security protocol
o Understands and trains local staff on protocol and their actions needed to be taken
· Liaises directly with HQ and RFD on any security breach and/or issue
· Manages and coordinates the use of third-party resources related to security, safety, and critical incident response such as medical or security assistance companies, security firms, and crisis consultants.
Office Setup and Logistics management
· Manage physical office and liaise with building management;
· Maintain office efficiency by planning and implementing office systems, layouts, and equipment procurement;
· Serve as overall first point of contact for staff with technical issues;
· Trouble shoot technical glitches including internet, phones, printers, network etc.;
· Manage vehicles, local and international transport and fuel provisions;
· Manage procurement in line with CIVIC policies
· Manage all assets and update the assets register;
· Manage supplies and approve staff requests for furniture, equipment, and supplies.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4-6 years of logistics, procurement, and security management
- Experience managing consultant, vendor, and service contracts.
- Experience executing and supporting high level events
- Significant experience working for non-profits, ideally in the Sahel.
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict and/or high-risk environments, including the Sahel.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with all levels of staff in a multicultural environment and to maintain a calm, reassuring, and objective attitude in all situations.
- Exceptional communication skills for explaining complex policies, protocols, and procedures to senior management, employees, and consultants.
- Highest levels of integrity when dealing with human resources and financial accountability.
- Ability to work within strict time, budget, and project deliverable constraints.
- Demonstrated ability to write in a clear, concise, well-organized manner.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, flexibility, resourcefulness, and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks requiring a high degree of attention to detail with changing levels of priority.
- Ability to relate and maintain calm in high-stress situations and ability to respond to emergencies.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, as well as knowledge of travel-tracking platforms like ISOS or iJET, communication technologies like WhatsApp, Twitter, Skype, and sat-phones.
- Fluency in English and French, written and oral.