Program Officer, Africa
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
The program officer will provide advanced support to a programs – with a specific focus on Nigeria – including project management, financial management, operational support, and financial management of the project. This position requires professionalism, strong written and verbal communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think logically and follow a process through to completion with minimal supervision.
Job Purpose: Project Management
Location: Washington, DC
Travel: Up to 15% required (domestic and international)
Reporting to: Director, AFRICA
- Provides operational and technical support to programs, including financial oversight, tracking of deliverables, document and information management, monitoring and responding to internal and external deadlines.
- Liaise with donors on active projects, and oversee development of financial and project management products.
- Liaise directly with country teams to streamline efforts to implement, monitor, and track both monitoring evaluation and learning (MEL) as well as budget. Works across program and country teams to encourage collaboration, efficiency and consistency of processes.
- Meeting support for internal and external meetings, including preparation of meeting materials, note taking and distribution, and follow up with relevant parties.
- Provide research support and analyze data to identify relevant trends on civilian harm in the sub-Saharan Africa.
- Support the design and startup of new programs in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Provide direct support to Africa Director on short and long-term projects (e.g., research or financial oversight).
- BA/BS degree and 3-5 years of relevant work experience OR MA/MS degree and 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing and creating budgets, including tracking, projections, proactively monitoring burn rates, and cost/pricing research.
- Demonstrated experience overseeing delivery of program deliverables in conjunction with field and headquarters teams.
- Good interpersonal skills to effectively interact with all levels of staff, foreign and U.S. government personnel, and the NGO community.
- Good oral skills to effectively present information and respond to questions.
- Strong writing and copy editing skills.
- Capacity to work both independently and as a member of a team and to work within multiple deadlines and timeframes.
- Basic understanding in the fields of protection of civilians or conflict mitigation/response.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- High degree of competency with Microsoft Office Programs, particularly Excel.
- Experience with Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.), Dropbox, and Slack strongly desired.
CIVIC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to include excellent health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life insurance, a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary), and paid leave plus twelve paid holidays (including the day after Thanksgiving and the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day).
Resumes are reviewed on a rolling basis so please apply early. DEADLINE TO APPLY IS OCTOBER 30, 2019.
Please Note: Anticipated start date for this position is November 2019.