Nigeria: Lead Security Officer Northeast
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org
CIVIC is seeking suitably qualified applicants for the position of security Officer, Nigeria, who will be part of the CIVIC Nigeria program team. This is a full-time position. This position is funded as part of the DFID Conflict Management and Stabilization Programme in Northeast Nigeria.
Position: Security Officer, Nigeria
Location: Maiduguri, Borno, Nigeria
Travel: Up to 30% required (domestic)
Reporting to: Team Lead NE
Matrix reporting to: Country Operations Manager
Staff Reporting: N/A
The Security Officer will work closely with the Team Lead NE, the Country Operations Manager and the country director in the country office to:
· Ensure compliance with CIVIC ‘s security protocols that reflects our mandate and values, promotes accountability and high performance that enable our team deliver outstanding results for civilians and excellent customer service for our Members and donors.
· Ensure all Country Office team, especially NE based staff, visitors and partners comply with all CIVIC Management Operating Standards and Procedures.
· Ensure that all required support is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the rules and principles during emergencies, especially in case of security-related crisis.
· Regular collection and collation and analysis of all security information across the country and field locations CIVIC work in Nigeria (INSO, relevant security agencies and embassy security networks).
· Collect and keep movement tracking records, follow-up on movement tracking timing and file a trip completion records and report trip stoppages and hitches for immediate follow-up.
· Prepare reports that document safety and security breaches and the extent of the damage caused by the breaches.
· Carry out Incident/actor mapping and produce relevant reports and advisory for the CO/program team.
· Support the planning of team travel to high-threat ares, including primary and secondary routes/modes of transport.
· Assist in the preparation and conduct of security trainings for staff/visitors/partners.
· Support the development and refining of scenarios and contingency plans.
· Support the implementation of improved security SOPs across country offices.
· Support the ID-Card Management System in the Country Office (CO).
· Documents the changes and up-grades in the CO fleet movement and management.
· Carry out periodic and occasioned Security field contextual assessments and generate reports for the use of both the program team and the CO.
· Carry out/support incidents investigations both in the CO and Field Offices (FO)
· Regular updates of security contextual changes in Abuja and various CIVIC location to the CO team.
· As directed by the Team Lead NE, Country Operations Manager or Country Director, represent the CIVIC at any external security network meeting, especially in the NE
· Carry out any other duty/responsibilities assigned by the TL/COM/CD
· Coordinate closely with Country Operations Manager and HQ-based operations staff on security plans and responses to incidents.
· Information Gathering and analysis skills using good knowledge of management practice and technologies used in the sector.
· Solid networker, able to cultivate relationships with a broad cross-section of actors (government, security, civil society, community, and vulnerable populations).
· Good understanding of INGOs programming.
· Basic knowledge of Fraud and criminal investigation procedures and methods.
· Proven ability to conduct route planning and develop security and contingency plans,
· Critical thinking and excellent logical skills.
· Strong proficiency in the use of Office suites. i.e. Outlook, Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
· Nose-for-news’ and ability to spot flaws in systems.
· Have good oral, written communication and presentations skills.
· Honest, openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
Consistent excellent judgement
QUALIFICATION & EXPERIENCE
· Degree level qualifications in any of humanities or sciences and Security management. (longer period of experience can be taken in place of Degree)
· At least four or five year work experience with an INGO holding security related functions and responsibility
· Strong learning attitude and capacity to learning and development technical and professional skills.
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an internationally diverse environment.