Nigeria: Training Officer Northeast
About The Position
Center for Civilians in Conflict is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve the protection of civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm. Learn more at civiliansinconflict.org.
CIVIC is seeking suitably qualified applicants for the position of Training Officer: Northeast Nigeria, who will be part of the CIVIC Nigeria program team.
Along with the Senior Advisor, Training for Northeast Nigeria, you will develop and support CIVIC’s civilian protection and harm mitigation training and outreach capabilities projects in CIVIC’s portfolio.
Job Purpose: Develop and support CIVIC’s civilian protection and harm mitigation training and outreach
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria
Travel: Up to 40% required (domestic; frequent travel to Abuja)
Reporting to: Senior Advisor, Training Nigeria
Staff Reporting: N/A
· Work with the program team to strategize and develop programs, finalize workshops and dialogue design, manage project design and implementation of Borno-based trainings and programs.
· Support advocacy of CIVIC’s core issues and recommendations to government, security, and community stakeholders, civil-military engagement, representation, and advocacy in Borno/Maiduguri/Northeast Nigeria.
· Support the design and implementation of trainings and workshops for the military, police, vigilante groups and other security actors in Borno state including scenario-based training programs for security forces engaged in operations.
· Support the creation of civil-military community dialogues in conflict-affected LGAs across Borno state.
· Identify new partnerships with like-minded CSOs, government agencies, and actors in the field and conduct desk and field research and assessments to inform fresh policy, practice, and training recommendations for diverse stakeholders to improve civilian protection.
· Research and draft publications (reports, briefing papers, blogs and articles etc.) and advocacy materials discussing CIVIC’s Nigeria work.
· Collaborations, Partnership, Networking and Outreach
· Represent CIVIC with NGO networks and government stakeholders and promote effective collaborations and partnerships.
· Travel regularly with over CIVIC staff and alone) to Abuja and focus communities in Borno State
· Perform other duties a required to further the organization's mission.
· A minimum of 5-7 years of full-time experience in several conflict environments – with specific experience in Nigeria and/or conflict-affected regions of Africa conducting training and carrying out other program work- including work in active and recently active conflict zones.
· In-depth understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict with deep knowledge of Nigeria and the Lake Chad Basin region including related to the conflict with Boko Haram.
· Experience in training security forces and participatory facilitation
· Prior service in military, police, civil-defense, and/or peacekeeping preferred.
· Experience of working with NGOs/CSOs/INGOs in a fast-paced environment is preferred.
· B.A. in international affairs, political science, African studies, or related area; MA, MS, or JD preferred.
· 5-7 years training and facilitation experience with police, military, or other security actors (peacekeepers).
· Oral and written fluency in English, with Hausa and Kanuri languages preferred.
· Well versed in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point) and Google Apps (email, calendar, etc.).
· An excellent team player with a can-do attitude, maturity and demonstrable work ethic, and the ability to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
· Skilled communicator, presenter, training facilitator, and bridge builder with communities in conflict, civilians, and security audiences.
· Strong writing and research skills.
· Ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work.
· Passion for CIVIC’s mission and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a key member of the Nigeria Team.
· The successful candidate will have an active and curious mind, ability and desire to learn new skills and a sense of humor.